Tuesday 26 June 2012

Finance, the Rate of Profit and Imperialism


In recent months, I have been working on a tricky topic for Marxist analysis: how to understand the role of finance in contemporary imperialism. Most coverage of this topic in Marxist and other radical literature gives more or less journalistic details of creditor-debtor rip offs and financial crises. There has been little serious attempt to develop Marx’s law of value in a way that can explain the underlying role of the financial system for the two major financial powers: the US and the UK.

I believe that I have made good progress in explaining this, and I will present some results of my latest analysis at a conference of the AHE/FAPE//IIPPE in Paris on Saturday 7 July - THE TIME HAS NOW BEEN CHANGED TO 11.30 - 1.30pm, Room C1306.

The full conference is scheduled from 5 to 7 July. If you are going too (it is a big conference, so this is not as ridiculous a question as it may seem!), then I look forward to discussing with and meeting some of the readers of this blog.


Tony Norfield, 26 June 2012

No comments: